Friday 16 March 2018

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini : Book review

It's Kind of a  Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Publication date: May 1st 2007
Published by: MiraMax
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Mental health

Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.


My Thoughts
Before I get into the review I should say that I did not finish this book. I got to page 100 and stopped. Something I also feel I should make very clear is that I don't think this is a bad book, I think this book just isn't for me.

From the get go I knew that this book was written by a man with depression because Rachel Cohn had written a foreword which I had read and while usually I would worry this would mean the book would have a sombre tone I wasn’t with this book because all the reviews talked about how hopeful it was. I should have been worried
.
This book was so obviously written by a man with depression. The book was so miserable but not only that but it made me really miserable as well even when I wasn’t reading it the mood of the book hung around me like a black cloud.

I gave up on the book at page 100 but before I was certain of my decision I decided to read the goodreads reviews and a massive amount of them said the book was super transphobic and a few said it was sexist and I just felt this book was a waste of my time.

I’m so disappointed that this is my belief because I wanted to love it so bad but unfortunately I didn’t. I think I might watch the film at some point though because that looks like it could be cheerier and not transphobic.

Overall I would probably give this 4/10 because it just wasn’t for me but I didn’t hate it I just hated how it made me feel.

It would be great to know if any of you agree with what I’m saying or if you loved this book I would be interested to know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment